Thursday, January 29, 2009

The VIPs of 203

Where the heck does that come from?

I'm sure if you've visited our abode, you have seen the shiny placard hung upon the door, which reads: VIP Entrance. If you've known us for more than a semester, you might also remember the original VIP sign, written in pen on a simple piece of lined paper. It appeared on our door sometime last year, and it read: 24/7 VIP Lounge. It hung there for a long long time, until I thought it looked tacky and I tore it down. It was, after all, very very old. It would've stayed there forever, but we had the shiny placard from last year's Ward Date, so I figured we didn't need both.

Anyway, the reference to us being VIPs is originally from that grungy piece of paper. There have been many myths regarding its origin. I am here to debunk the myths and reveal the truth, so as not to take the secret with me to my grave. (I don't plan on dying soon, FYI, but you never know).

I made it and hung it on the door. Originally I made it as a joke, because Amanda Martinez was planning some dance party downstairs in Apt. 101, and you know how much our apartment loves dance parties. This is where my memory gets fuzzy. I think she said something like we could have a drink lounge for all the people who needed a break from dancing and we could call it the VIP Lounge. Wonderful idea, Amanda. And I got thinking, we could have it in our apartment. Wait, our apartment is ALWAYS a VIP Lounge. So I took that little inspiration from Amanda, added in the 24/7 part, and labeled 203 as the 24/7 VIP Lounge because the name obviously fits. :) Proof that it fits: it stuck. We became the VIPs, especially after we started writing a song about it. However, I didn't tell anyone I did it. Except Terry, I told him like last month.

So now the secret is out. That is the story of the reference. I figured I'd better publish it, especially since our blog is titled The 203 VIPs.

The End :)

2 comments:

  1. I like how the definition of placard in Wikipedia says it describes the contents of a building. How fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The initial description actually says it's instructional use for a vehicle. But I'm glad you left a very informative post. This would have made for a good maiden post, but oh well, it's been done at least. I had forgotten about this story, it's certainly classic. I do know sometimes it makes people think we're seriously elitist, it's kinda funny.

    ReplyDelete